Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Republican Nomination: A free and open debate for the Party

Republicans,

We need to start thinking about the race in front of us in a different way. According to Real Clear Politics, there are five serious contenders for the nomination. (plus Ron Paul). Rather than lament that their isn't a perfect candidate to get behind, we need to embrace the debate for the candidate of our party. The Wednesday YouTube debate on CNN should be a true test of these leaders and whether or not they can run the country.

Republican party members will be watching the debate in huge numbers. They are honestly waiting for a candidate to express their views and to pick the candidate they are willing to support. The Democrats are leading the money races in huge figures, but that is just because GOP dollars are still waiting on the sidelines. On the 28th we will judge these men on character, elect ability, policies and record. May the best candidate win.

Who do you support?


Myself, I have still not solidified on a candidate. I have donated a few dollars to both McCain and Huckabee to support them staying in the race. But I could still end up supporting Romney or Giuliani if they convince me that they are ready. So at the end of the debate, I will either be still undecided or firmly in someone's camp.

McCain is the war / foreign policy strong man. He is tough and knowledgeable on international issues. The senator knows you can't trust the UN, but can reach out to allies and speak tough to enemies. His campaign finance legislation and comprehensive immigration reform stand might be too much to overcome though. He has to convince me he learned from those two errors for me to give him my vote.

Giuliani wins if you dislike crime and you are a social moderate. The only way I end up in his camp is after he wins the nomination. I could support a pro-choice candidate, but only after my pro-life candidate lost in the primary. He does great in one-liners and would be an effective leader. I just disagree with him on too many issues.

Huckabee is an attractive candidate that comes off as the everyman. I would be most comfortable with him in a room. He says the right things on border security and spending, but his spending record looks pretty liberal. On the moral issues, he has a strong Christian faith and I think he would lead morally to help the American family. But some of his comments on healthcare have sounded too much like "nanny state" and not enough towards "personal responsibility".

Governor Romney can also lead on the moral issues. Like Huckabee he is founded by his faith in God. I admit, as an evangelical Christian I have a preference towards supporting someone of my faith. But most important to me is that our leader have faith and truly believe in what he exposes. So despite our disagreement on doctrine, I think he could make a great nominee. But he is a little too "slick willy" or "Breck Girl" with his fancy hair cuts and perfectly tailored message. I am right with him on the issues, I just have to decide if I believe him or not.

Fred Thomson is in the race only in the polls. I was in his camp for a month until his campaign started. By the time he had got in, I had checked out. Plus he looks like a dead fish in interviews and debates. As the drive bys say, no gravitas.

So despite the commenting rules, this post is open to blatant support of a candidate. Promote, link, or whatever, just try to keep them short.

Contribute your opinions to the GOP Grassroots Platform 2008. Version 2 coming soon.

No comments:

Republican Party Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory