Friday, November 16, 2007

Do YOU live in soup line America? I dont.

I just finished watching the democratic debate tonight in Nevada. The thing I found so striking is the way that the candidates view our country. They view it full of problems, poverty, discrimination and despair. There was a point when they talked about all the things Americans worry about every night. As if Americans sit home scared in their beds praying for the federal government to solve their problems.

This is not the America I have lived in for 31 years. I am a small business owner who is clearly middle class. My employees make salaries very close to mine as I sacrifice to get my company to the next level. As a proud Pittsburgh resident, I have lived in the rust belt my entire life. My parents were middle class and I am middle class. Do you know what I see....

...I see opportunity. I see low unemployment. I see Americans indulging in leisure activities and serving their churches and communities. We live in the wealthiest nation in the world with the largest middle class and the fattest lower class in the history of the world.

But I also see people failing. In my own family some people are not living the American dream. However, there is nothing Hillary Clinton can do to help these people. They must help them selves and their families, communities and churches must help them. My friends and family that are not succeeding have themselves to blame. Some are lazy. Others made bad choices. Still others passed on amazing education opportunities or wasted them by being wasted.

How can you listen to that debate and believe anything said by any candidate tonight? All the Democratic party does is promise everything and blame everything else on George Bush. You would think President Bush was the boogie-man. For a bunch of people who talk about being positive, I have never heard more negativity and pessimism.


So I want to know from everyone who reads this. Do you live in soup line America? Is this still a great country or is it one crisis after another?

Please comment

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your view on democratic ideas is incorrect. the lower class is the largest it has ever been. There is no middle class. You may believe you are middle class. as you stated, but if you put your salary against high class you will realize your falacies. No america is not a poor country. But i know people that have good jobs that cant always afford gas. So i think you need to widen your view.

Jeff Schroeffel said...

No, I am in the middle class without question. I have a reasonable mortgage on my home, own two cars (used) and don't have trouble buying food or gas.

The lower class is not the largest it has every been, that is a complete lie if you dont count millions of illegal aliens.

As for the people that cant afford gas, I would guess they have two cell phones, two cars, the newest video games, etc, etc, etc. It isn't that they cant afford gas, it is that they dont have enough left for gas after all the other junk they spend their dollars on.

Jeff Schroeffel said...

...one more thing from the above commenter. "if you put your salary against high class you will realize your falacies"

There in lies the problem. Class warfare. Because someone else has more I should be envious and less "middle class".

People that have more earned it. Either in this generation or the one previous. Our economic standing is based on our own hard work and the hard work of the generations of our family that came before us.

Republican Party Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory